10 Common Houseplants That Are Toxic For Pets

10 Common Houseplants That Are Toxic For Pets

If you’re a pet owner who also loves plants, you know that can be a complicated situation. A lot of common houseplants tend to be toxic for our pets. While our pets may not always bother our plants, it’s important to know which plants to keep out of the way or avoid bringing into the home altogether. Here are 10 examples of common houseplants that are toxic to our pets. 

1. Aloe Vera

Aloe Vera is a great plant to keep in the home and has a variety of different uses once grown. However, if your pet gets ahold of this plant, they can experience some mild to moderate symptoms. Some symptoms include: vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and more.

2. Jade Plants

Jade plants are a beautiful, rubbery variety of succulent that are known to be hard to kill. They are considered highly toxic to pets and should be kept out of their reach. If consumed, these plants can cause gastric distress, heartbeat irregularities, and depression. 

3. Ivy

Most popular Ivy breeds make nice house plants as they’re hard to kill and are a cascading plant. They are considered moderately toxic. Pets can experience mouth and stomach irritation, swelling in the mouth, vomiting and more. 

4. Monstera

The Monstera family is possibly one of the most popular in terms of houseplants. These beautiful jungle-like plant happens to be toxic to both humans and pets (so it should be kept out of reach of children as well). If ingested, symptoms include mouth swelling and irritation, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing. 

5. Snake Plants

Snake plants are another notoriously hard house plant to kill and thrives in a wide variety of environments, making it perfect for any home. However, they contain a toxic chemical called "saponin". If ingested, you pet can experience gastrointestinal issues like nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

6. Pothos

Pothos go by many names, most notably Devil's Ivy because it's so hard to kill. They cascading plants come in different varieties of color and shape, and are a vining plant. They are mildly toxic to pets, causing stomach and mouth irritation upon ingestion.

7. Elephant Ears

Elephant Ears aren't the most common house plant due to their size and temperment. These plants can grow up to 6 feet tall, but also can die within a week of being in the wrong conditions. These are very toxic, and sometimes fatal, to pets. If your pet ingests this plant, they need to be taken to an Emergency Vet Hospital right away, as the plant will cause their throat to swell shut. 

8. Sago Palms

Sago Palms have grown in popularity over the years, probably due to the tropical touch it can give your home. While pets tend to not want to eat the Sago's prickly fronds, the seeds of the Sago Palm are very toxic. While your pet might only experience moderate gastrointestinal effects after eating the seeds, the seeds contain "cycasin", which is a toxic agent causing severe liver failure. 

9. ZZ Plants

Another notoriously hard to kill houseplant, the ZZ Plant comes in many different varieties and can survive even in a low light room. These plants are mildly toxic and also contain a sap that can cause skin rashes and irritation. Other symptoms of ingestion include vomiting and diarrhea.

10. Fiddle Leaf Fig

The Fiddle Leaf Fig has become a popular house plant in the last few years, but is not for the faint of heart. These plants are very specific and tend to die easily. If you are successful at growing your fig, keep in mind that it's mildly toxic to our pets. Like the ZZ Plant, the Fiddle Leaf Fig also contains a sap inside it's bark that can cause skin rash or irritation, and upon ingestion, can cause mouth and stomach irritation.

Back to blog